Tuesday, May 6, 2014

WHAT WE KNOW THAT WE DON’T KNOW WE KNOW

May 6, 2014  WHAT WE KNOW THAT WE DON’T KNOW WE KNOW

Oddly, I think, that during my stay in the hospital, and until Andrew was delivered two weeks early on January 8, 1981 by a Pitocin induction, I never had a sense that he would die. Despite hearing repeatedly told that there was a 99% chance that he would not make it, that never seemed possible to me. John told me, after Andrew was born, that he had arranged with the undertaker to handle things. He felt that I was in denial and he did not want to upset me further so he stepped in to arrange for a stillbirth.  When he told me this later, I was  stunned—first that John and I were so far apart  in our sense of the outcome and second that John had acted alone so as not to upset me by confronting what he thought was my denial. Is it denial, or do we know more than we know we know? Does the body have an awareness of what is not always available to consciousness?

I continued to gain weight as Andrew took on more fluid while his body tried to dilute the impact of my antibodies. I was almost 200 pounds by Christmas. I could no longer pick up Marnie or Lou. I usually had to sit down and rest mid-flight when I was doing the stairs.  The slightest bit of exertion and I was short of breath. I could not lay flat without having a feeling of suffocation. My lungs were forced into an ever-smaller area as my uterus increased in size and began to compromise my thoracic cavity. I had only one maternity outfit that still fit me and the only shoes I could still get my feet into were my boots. 
More tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment